Seemingly Minor Legal Issues That Should Be Handled By a Solicitor

Posted on: 16 August 2016

You don't actually need to hire a solicitor or lawyer for every legal issue you face; in your area, you may be allowed to apply for a building permit for file for a business name on your own, without legal advice. However, some seemingly minor legal issues should always be handled by a solicitor even if you think you can manage these yourself. Note a few of those here and why a solicitor should be considered in these cases.

Writing a will

Your will may be more complicated than you think; there are laws about who is entitled to your estate after you die, and laws about how outstanding debt is handled. To keep your will out of probate court and ensure your heirs are taken care of, it's good to have a solicitor handle your will. He or she will take time to review your wishes with you and then design your will in a way that honors those wishes, and can also give you advice on how to manage your estate now so that there are no surprises after your passing.

Filing for worker's compensation

Filing a worker's compensation claim may seem very simple; you fill out some forms and make a claim with your employer's insurance, and your bills are paid. However, you may be entitled to more funds than you realize, if you've missed work because of your injury or had other expenses beyond medical bills. You might also be signing away your rights to future claims for expenses you might face down the road, such as the need for physical therapy, surgery, medications, and other such necessities. A solicitor or lawyer should always review your claim and then advise you on the best way to move forward.

Dissolving a business

If you're dissolving a business, you may assume you can just sell off your assets and close shop, but things are rarely this simple. If you have partners or anyone else with a financial interest in the business, they may have legal claims to some funds. Your debts may also need to be paid even if the business is closed. You may also need to file some paperwork to show that the business has been legally dissolved so you're not expected to file taxes for it in later years. Rather than assuming that you can just stop doing business in order to dissolve a business, consult with a lawyer so you can determine the best way to manage its closure.


Selling my house to the kids

I am getting older and the family house is a bit too much for me these days. My daughter has offered to buy the family house from me and will let me continue to live in the granny flat. I want to make sure it's all legal and doesn't impact on my arrangements in my will. I know that there are a lot of older people in the same position as me: looking to keep the house in the family, seeking extra cash, and trying to avoid legal issues later. This blog has the tips on how to make sure the arrangement is legal and suits everyone.